Taliban confirm Kabul school blast was caused by grenade

Taliban authorities have confirmed an explosion at a private school in western Kabul, Dasht Barchi, on Monday, saying it was caused by a hand grenade and injured a number of students. Afghan media, citing a security source, reported that as many as 52 people were wounded.

The explosion took place in the courtyard of Shama Danesh private school in the Mahdia township in Kabul’s 18th security district, as students were leaving their classrooms at the end of the school day, according to local reports.

Khalid Zadran, spokesman for the Taliban’s Kabul police command, confirmed the incident and said the blast was caused by a hand grenade thrown at the school. He said a number of children were injured but did not provide an official figure.

Zadran said further details would be released later.

Afghan media, citing a security source, put the number of wounded at 52. A medical source told local media that most of those injured were young children and that both boys and girls were among the victims.

A local source said the grenade had been thrown into the school courtyard from an alley opposite the school. The explosion occurred as students were leaving the building after classes, the source said.

Taliban security forces sealed off the area following the blast, while an investigation was under way to identify those responsible.

The incident has renewed concerns over the security of educational facilities in western Kabul, an area that has been repeatedly targeted by attacks in recent years, heightening fears among families about sending their children to school.

بیشتر بخوانید:  August 19: Independence That Never Led to Freedom
لینک کوتاه: https://iraf.ir/?p=134583
اخبار مرتبط

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *